Epta a refrigeration winner in Germany
Epta’s FTE transcritical CO2 refrigeration system has won the innovation award at the German Refrigeration Prize 2018.
Other names amongst the nine winners included Bitzer, Menerga, Viessmann, Daikin and Aldi Sud.
The awards, with prizes totalling more than €50,000, is part of the National Climate Initiative (NKI) of the German Federal Government. The focus is on technical innovation, energy efficiency and digitisation in cooling processes.
Presenting the prizes, German environment minister Svenja Schulze said: “The award winners prove that refrigeration technology can be designed efficiently and in an environmentally friendly way.”
In Germany there are said to be more than 120 million refrigeration and air conditioning systems. Energy consumption and refrigerant losses cause greenhouse gas emissions, which correspond to almost 60 million tonnes of CO2 per year. In order to reduce their energy consumption and harmful refrigerant losses, the German government awards the German Refrigeration Prize for particularly low-emission and trend-setting developments in refrigeration and air conditioning technology.
This time, companies and private individuals were able to submit their contributions in the three categories: Refrigeration or air conditioning innovation, energy efficient refrigeration and air conditioning systems with indirect cooling and intelligent monitoring of refrigeration and air conditioning systems.
The Federal Environment Ministry awards three prizes per category, worth €10,000, €5,000 and €2,500.
The winners in the three categories were:
Refrigeration or air conditioning innovation
- Epta Germany GmbH – FTE transcritical CO2 refrigeration system
- EAW Anlagenbau GmbH – new compact water/lithium bromide absorption refrigeration system
- Bitzer – intelligent Ecoline+ CO2 compressor.
Energy-efficient refrigeration and air conditioning systems with indirect cooling
- Menerga – hybrid adiabatic evaporative cooling system
- Viessmann – ESyCool Green energy system providing heating and refrigeration in food retailing, using R290 heat pumps.
- Cool Expert GmbH – integral refrigeration and heat pump system using “natural” refrigerants.
Intelligent monitoring of refrigeration and air conditioning systems
- CoolTool Technology GmbH – CoolTool monitoring system.
- Aldi Süd Dienstleistungs – intelligent monitoring of composite refrigeration systems at Aldi Süd
- Daikin Airconditioning – remote analysis tool